My photo
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I simply love Yorkshire and its magnificent scenery. Every season Yorkshire has something magical to offer. There's nothing better than getting my hiking boots on and disappearing into Yorkshire's superb countryside! I take my camera everywhere with me to ensure others can appreciate the many beautiful things that I see on my breathtaking walks. My photography has been featured on ITV Calendar, BBC Look North and has been published in The Yorkshire Ridings Magazine, The Yorkshire Dalesman, Country Walking Magazine and Countryfile magazine. Some of my images have been transformed into beautiful paintings by Yorkshire artists. At the end of 2013 I was selected to be the Face of Ordnance Survey. You can see me in the 'Explore More' campaign. Follow me on Twitter: @Yorkshireimages Email enquiries: NickyBusbyPhotography@yahoo.com

Wednesday, 13 November 2013

Great Shunner Fell, Wensleydale

I've always loved hill climbing but for some reason I never got round to climbing up Great Shunner Fell along the Pennine Way.

On 31 October 2013 I decided to get my boots on and see what it was like on the third highest mountain in the Yorkshire Dales!


The route is very easy to follow from either Hardraw or Thwaite.  


I chose to climb up the Southern slopes from Hardraw which gave some wonderful views to the east looking over to Buttertubs Pass and equally impressive views to the west towards Cotterdale.



The route starts out on a farm track before reaching High Abbotside where it becomes more of a boggy track.  This eventually becomes a well-marked flagged footpath leading to the summit.  


The trig point, which stands at 716 metres above sea level, is built into the north side of windbreak which offers fantastic shelter from the howling wind and rain!  


This is probably one to avoid on a wet overcast day! Visibility can be very poor on the moor approaching the summit and in areas where it is not flagged it can be extremely boggy underfoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment