My photo
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I simply love Yorkshire and its magnificent scenery. Every season Yorkshire has something magical to offer. There's nothing better than getting my hiking boots on and disappearing into Yorkshire's superb countryside! I take my camera everywhere with me to ensure others can appreciate the many beautiful things that I see on my breathtaking walks. My photography has been featured on ITV Calendar, BBC Look North and has been published in The Yorkshire Ridings Magazine, The Yorkshire Dalesman, Country Walking Magazine and Countryfile magazine. Some of my images have been transformed into beautiful paintings by Yorkshire artists. At the end of 2013 I was selected to be the Face of Ordnance Survey. You can see me in the 'Explore More' campaign. Follow me on Twitter: @Yorkshireimages Email enquiries: NickyBusbyPhotography@yahoo.com

Wednesday, 15 August 2012

Leeds Country Way Solo Fundraising Hike For Macmillan

I've competed a couple of long distance walks in the last year or so.  I completed the Six Dales Trail last year in June over two days, a 38 mile hike from Otley to Middleham, to raise funds for the Yorkshire Air Ambulance. And in April of this year I completed the Esk Valley Walk in two days, a 35 mile hike from Castleton in the North York Moors to Whitby for Kidney Research UK.

I decided to tackle the Leeds Country Way over two days, a 62 mile circular hike around the outskirts of Leeds to raise funds for Macmillan Cancer Support as we all know someone who is or has been affected by cancer. 

Tackling this long distance walk over two days meant walking for a much longer period each day in order to cover the one hundred kilometre route!


The route is well marked throughout by the owl logo and appropriate signage.  There is also a useful guide which you can download from the Leeds City Council website.

The route is predominantly flat and can easily be taken in shorter sections over a longer period of time to allow you to appreciate the beautiful countryside that we have in Leeds.


I set off from Garforth and followed the route through many villages including Swillington, Little Preston, Mickletown, Methley, Carlton, East Ardsley and on to Gildersome.  The way-marked footpath takes you through some lovely countryside, by the river, through meadows, along field edges and many farm tracks. 
Garforth, Old railway line

River Aire from Swillington bridge


Mickletown near methley

Sundown at Gildersome

I hiked for approximately eight hours on the first day and covered around 28 miles of the route.

I knew that day two would be tough as I had more miles to cover in order to complete the route and my right knee was beginning to show signs of wear and tear. It was very painful and the slightest of downhill sections were proving to be difficult!

After a slightly misty early morning the sun broke through and a stunning sky was revealed. Day two took me through Pudsey, Horsforth, Eccup, Harewood, Bardsey, Thorner, Barwick-In-Elmet, Scholes and Garforth.

Altocumulus clouds at Horsforth

Bailed straw at Eccup

Woods near Harewood

Grassy track at Bardsey

Barley field, Thorner

Bailed straw at Barwick

The pretty village of Barwick-In-Elmet

Open fields at Scholes

I ended the route where I began in Garforth.  My legs very heavy, my knee throbbing and my legs covered in nettle rash but a smile on my face knowing that I accomplished what I'd set out to do!

In total it took me 19 hours to complete the 62 mile journey!

I raised £325 for Macmillan Cancer Support with the help of my lovely family and friends who sponsored me.  I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you to all of them for their generosity.






No comments:

Post a Comment