My photo
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I simply love Yorkshire and its magnificent scenery. Every season Yorkshire has something magical to offer. There's nothing better than getting my hiking boots on and disappearing into Yorkshire's superb countryside! I take my camera everywhere with me to ensure others can appreciate the many beautiful things that I see on my breathtaking walks. My photography has been featured on ITV Calendar, BBC Look North and has been published in The Yorkshire Ridings Magazine, The Yorkshire Dalesman, Country Walking Magazine and Countryfile magazine. Some of my images have been transformed into beautiful paintings by Yorkshire artists. At the end of 2013 I was selected to be the Face of Ordnance Survey. You can see me in the 'Explore More' campaign. Follow me on Twitter: @Yorkshireimages Email enquiries: NickyBusbyPhotography@yahoo.com

Monday, 16 April 2012

Swaledale circular - Reeth, Marrick and Fremington Edge - 25.03.12

Swaledale is beautiful at any time of the year but the warm, hazy Spring sunshine on this particular morning made this circular hike just that little bit better!

I parked in the pretty Swaledale village of Reeth and headed towards Grinton taking a footpath just after Reeth bridge on the right. The footpath eventually brings you to Grinton bridge.  Cross the road and follow the footpath along the River Swale and then take the footpath towards Marrick Priory which crosses many meadows.


* Please note that Marrick Priory is not open to the general public for viewing as it has been converted into an outdoor activity centre.

From Marrick Priory take the footpath through Steps Wood.  I'm not sure how many steps are here but they seemed to go on forever!


...... And ever!!


After climbing the steps and leaving the wood you reach the quaint village of Marrick. 
It was lovely to see the Spring lambs enjoying the warm sunshine in the surrounding fields.


After passing through Marrick, bear North-East up the road towards Fremington Edge. 

It would seem that the farmer who owns this land has been making an extra effort to catch the moles that have been taking up residence on is land!


At the crossroads go straight across and follow the track along Fremington Edge with the wall on your left passing the lone tree on your right.


Shortly after I went slightly off track over the open access land to locate the trig point which stands at 430m above sea level. (For those of you who read my blog regularly you will know that I love my trig points! *See blog post entitled 'Trig Happy')


Taking up the footpath again along Fremington Edge which goes on for quite some distance, I picked up a route which dropped South down the valley.


The views across the valley below are exceptional and I would recommend a coffee stop at some point here to take in the breath-taking scenery before dropping back down into the beautiful village of Reeth once more.


1 comment:

  1. Really informative and interesting. Very nice pictures too. Hopefully I will go on this walk pretty soon weather permitted

    Kind Regards
    Beatrix E kaye

    Many Thanks

    ReplyDelete