My photo
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I simply love Yorkshire and its magnificent scenery. Every season Yorkshire has something magical to offer. There's nothing better than getting my hiking boots on and disappearing into Yorkshire's superb countryside! I take my camera everywhere with me to ensure others can appreciate the many beautiful things that I see on my breathtaking walks. My photography has been featured on ITV Calendar, BBC Look North and has been published in The Yorkshire Ridings Magazine, The Yorkshire Dalesman, Country Walking Magazine and Countryfile magazine. Some of my images have been transformed into beautiful paintings by Yorkshire artists. At the end of 2013 I was selected to be the Face of Ordnance Survey. You can see me in the 'Explore More' campaign. Follow me on Twitter: @Yorkshireimages Email enquiries: NickyBusbyPhotography@yahoo.com

Monday, 20 February 2012

My Fundraising update - June - December 2011 - £2315!!

I've done a few bits and bobs towards raising money for charity over the years but after meeting some inspirational people at the Galpharm - Huddersfield Town Football Club who were cycling from Huddersfield to Brighton last year for the Yorkshire Air Ambulance, it made me realise just how much I wanted to help such a worthy cause myself.


June 2011 - Yorkshire Air Ambulance - £1130

The Yorkshire Air Ambulance is an independent charity that provides a life saving emergency service to five million people across Yorkshire. The charity requires £7200 per day to keep both air ambulances maintained and in the air. 
http://www.yorkshireairambulance.org.uk/

I decided to tie my passion for hiking in the beautiful Yorkshire countryside with my first fundraiser.
I often hike alone and this made me realise how one day I may just need the YAA if I were to become stranded or injured.

I chose to hike along the Six Dales Trail solo, which is a long distance walk from Otley to Middleham (38 miles in total)

The Six Dales Trail logo

Leaving Otley at the start of the 38 mile hike

Leaving Thruscross, Washburndale

Approaching Colsterdale

Middleham - A well earned celebratory drink!

The big cheque handover to Jon Mitchell, Patron of the YAA infront of G CEMS air ambulance

I was lucky enough to have my YAA fundraising hike mentioned in the Yorkshire Evening Post and the Yorkshire Dalesman.


July 2011 - Dogstrust - £95

Dogstrust helps to give new homes to thousands of abandoned stray dogs and puppies.  

I have a real soft spot when it comes to dogs (especially Jack Russells!) and during my week-day job I sold plush doggy keyrings and asked for both cash donations and pet foods to take to the Leeds Dogtrust centre.

Handing the cheque and box of goodies over to Dogstrust centre, Leeds


September 2011 - British Heart Foundation - £460

The BHF is the nation's heart charity. The charity's vision is a world where people don't die prematurely from heart disease.  They'll achieve this through pioneering research, vital prevention activity and ensuring quality care and support for everyone living with heart disease.

We all know someone who is affected by heart disease and so I took part in the Humber Bridge Walk where I crossed the bridge which is nearly two miles long eight times in order to raise vital cash.

South side of the Humber Bridge

Photo time with the BHF mascot!

Collecting my medal at the finish line! (Photo courtesy of John Earnshaw)

The big cheque handover to Sue Green from the BHF (Photo courtesy of John Earnshaw)


December 2011 - Royal National Lifeboat Institution - £630

The RNLI is the charity that saves lives at sea.

After meeting such a dedicated team of lads at RNLI Humber last year when I was producing photography for a Dalesman article, it made me realise the vital role of the RNLI.

I hiked from sunrise to sunset along a coastal section of the Cleveland Way, East Yorkshire.

Looking back along the Cleveland Way

Staintondale, East Yorkshire coast

Cold but bright, for now!

Threatening skies at sea!

Time to celebrate with the big cheque! (photograph courtesy of John Earnshaw)

The big cheque handover to the lads at RNLI Humber, Spurn Point (photograph courtesy of John Earnshaw)

I'm saying nothing!! (photograph courtesy of John Earnshaw)

David Steenvoorden, Superintendant Coxswain at RNLI Humber recieving the big cheque (photograph courtesy of John Earnshaw)


I must thank all of my wonderful friends and family for their donations and support because without their help I simply wouldn't have been able to raise the amount of funds that I have.

I would also like to thank the most inspirational people that I have ever met who dedicate their lives to helping others. You are all amazing!

And as for my next fundraiser.....   Watch this space!..... ;o)





6 comments:

  1. You are an amazing young lady! Not only beautiful but also an inspiration. Bet the RNLI guys were very pleased to see you! Best wishes, Craig Dale (Twitter) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about that! Thanks for the comment anyway Craig! x

      Delete
  2. Nicky you are an Inspiration to us all, never mind Sir Jimmy or Jane, they were in the public eye that's what you have to remember, I'm not taking anything away from these people because they were special, especially Jane, but you are an unique indivual yourself, you do a great deal for these charities and it's people like you who keep them going, not people like me who just donate a small amount each year, although they say every little helps, but keep up the good work I am sure all these lads in uniform appreciate it, as you do, because I see you get a great lift from it, lol, well done Nicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy and Jane will never be forgotten Sandy! They are fundraising icons. Thanks for your continued encouragement over the last six months! x

      Delete