My photo
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I simply love Yorkshire and its magnificent scenery. Every season Yorkshire has something magical to offer. There's nothing better than getting my hiking boots on and disappearing into Yorkshire's superb countryside! I take my camera everywhere with me to ensure others can appreciate the many beautiful things that I see on my breathtaking walks. My photography has been featured on ITV Calendar, BBC Look North and has been published in The Yorkshire Ridings Magazine, The Yorkshire Dalesman, Country Walking Magazine and Countryfile magazine. Some of my images have been transformed into beautiful paintings by Yorkshire artists. At the end of 2013 I was selected to be the Face of Ordnance Survey. You can see me in the 'Explore More' campaign. Follow me on Twitter: @Yorkshireimages Email enquiries: NickyBusbyPhotography@yahoo.com

Saturday, 14 January 2012

Sutton Bank, North York Moors - 14 January 2012

The temperature fell to -3c in my hometown of Leeds last night which led to a sharp frost this morning.  I wanted to visit somewhere with tremendous views.  It got me thinking about a previous visit to Sutton Bank near Thirsk, North York Moors when the day was equally as bright. So that was the decision made! Sutton Bank was yet again to be blessed with the company of me and my hiking boots....

The Cleveland Way sign near the Sutton Bank Visitor car park.

The plaque at the start of the footpath towards The White Horse of Kilburn which tells you that Sutton Bank stands 981 feet above sea level!

From this point on the view opens up for miles and miles.

The frost was beginning to thaw but struggled to melt in the long winter shadows of the hills.

Every 100 metres or so I had to stop to take in the breathtaking views over the Vale of York.

It is said that Wordsworth climbed Sutton Bank with his sister in the 1800's where he gained inspiration to write a sonnet.

I continued along the Cleveland Way footpath towards the White Horse.

......Still stopping every 100 metres!!!

The rugged cliffs look truly magnificent in the winter sunshine.



After half a mile or so the Flying Club came into view and the occasional glider soared overhead in the cloudless sky.

Touchdown!
It is a little past the Gliding Club that you reach The White Horse of Kilburn which stands at the top of the scarp. It's not quite as impressive up close so a short drive downhill to the nearby village of Kilburn may be required to appreciate its beauty from afar.

The White Horse of Kilburn - The only white chalk horse in the North of England! The horse measures nearly 100 metres long and nearly 70 metres high. It can be seen from miles around and is used as a local landmark.

A pretty little village with a wonderful hosterly inn 'Forresters' Arms'.

And what better way to finish the day!... A mooch around the quaint shops of Thirsk, only a short drive away.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! I love Sutton Bank. You have captured it just as I remember it. I must visit Yorkshire again soon. You have given me the gentle nidge I need! The wife shouldn't take much persuading! Jay x

    ReplyDelete