My photo
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I simply love Yorkshire and its magnificent scenery. Every season Yorkshire has something magical to offer. There's nothing better than getting my hiking boots on and disappearing into Yorkshire's superb countryside! I take my camera everywhere with me to ensure others can appreciate the many beautiful things that I see on my breathtaking walks. My photography has been featured on ITV Calendar, BBC Look North and has been published in The Yorkshire Ridings Magazine, The Yorkshire Dalesman, Country Walking Magazine and Countryfile magazine. Some of my images have been transformed into beautiful paintings by Yorkshire artists. At the end of 2013 I was selected to be the Face of Ordnance Survey. You can see me in the 'Explore More' campaign. Follow me on Twitter: @Yorkshireimages Email enquiries: NickyBusbyPhotography@yahoo.com

Tuesday, 17 May 2011

Buckden Pike Circular - 17th April 2011

Buckden Pike is a fairly strenuous walk but gives way to some dramatic scenery en route!
This walk is not recommended for the faint-hearted as to reach the summit requires a climb of 1500 feet!
Ample parking space is usually available at the large car park at the north of the village.

I started my walk by proceeding up Buckden Rake. The stony footpath is visible from the car park,
(Buckden Rake follows the line of a Roman road linking Ilkley and Bainbridge.)


When climbing up Buckden Rake, the occasional break in the trees give way to some really spectacular views.


However, nothing prepares you for the views from now on!....

When the track reaches a fork, follow the sign for Buckden Pike.  The grassy footpath is very clear as you climb further up a slanting hillside.

After climbing further I would recommend a breather to take in the views of Upper Wharfedale behind you. On a bright, clear day the vista is truly magnificent


This lovely gateway certainly deserved to be photographed, having such a wonderful backdrop on its doorstep! 



Continue up a stepped path, keeping to the right of a wall.  You will be rewarded for your rapid heartbeat and the sweat on your brow as the summit comes into view!


An OS trig point and a wonderfully shaped cairn sit on the summit.


From the summit, cross a ladder stile and turn right, following the wall.  At the walled corner descend a track towards a deep valley.  Follow the signs back to Buckden. The views from here are yet again truly amazing!


Eventually Buckden comes into view as you descend the path back to the car park.



1 comment:

  1. as usual fantastic photos and great story, I love these blogs Nicky well done again

    ReplyDelete