My photo
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I simply love Yorkshire and its magnificent scenery. Every season Yorkshire has something magical to offer. There's nothing better than getting my hiking boots on and disappearing into Yorkshire's superb countryside! I take my camera everywhere with me to ensure others can appreciate the many beautiful things that I see on my breathtaking walks. My photography has been featured on ITV Calendar, BBC Look North and has been published in The Yorkshire Ridings Magazine, The Yorkshire Dalesman, Country Walking Magazine and Countryfile magazine. Some of my images have been transformed into beautiful paintings by Yorkshire artists. At the end of 2013 I was selected to be the Face of Ordnance Survey. You can see me in the 'Explore More' campaign. Follow me on Twitter: @Yorkshireimages Email enquiries: NickyBusbyPhotography@yahoo.com

Saturday, 18 December 2010

Saturday 18th December - Upper Wharfedale

I was woken at 6.45am by my alarm and upon opening the curtains I discovered that we had a light dusting of snow in the small hours. I was still determined to climb Buckden Pike! I set off at 8.30am.  The main roads seemed clear although the further I drove the deeper the snow got! As I drove through Ilkley it became obvious that there was going to be much more snow ahead of me!  As I passsed Cracoe and Threshfield the roads became worse by the minute and shortly after passing Kilnsey I had to reduce my speed to a slow crawl!


I was still determined to make it to Buckden! I continued along the B6160 to Kettlewell. My car was beginning to slip on the untreated road.... But still, I carried on! I passed through Kettlewell and over the narrow snow covered road bridge. As I approached Starbottom a car coming in the opposite direction forced me to pull into the side of the road. At this point I lost control of my steering and realised that I couldn't continue. :-(
I turned the car around and was greeted by the most spectacular view infront of me...



The sun emerged from the dense cloud above and revealed splendid lighting onto the valley below. In the distance I could see fog hanging over Wharfedale.
I headed back to Kettlewell and after a few spins in the car park I managed to park safely!
I walked along Lovers Lane (although not with a lover I hasten to add!)...



The low winter sunshine brought colours to life along the river's edge...



I left the riverside and followed the Arncliffe footpath...



There was no obvious footpath ahead of me due to the heavy snowfall and it became apparent that there was only me hiking up there this morning! I couldn't see any other footprints in the snow at all!



Some of you might be reading this thinking that I'm mad, and yes, you're probably right! However the climb up to the top of Gate Cote Scar revealed yet another amazing view below me...



I felt enlightened. I was the only person sat up here. I could feel the sun on my face again after ascending the footpath in the shade! And the view was spectacular!...


I continued walking along the edge of Gate Cote Scar heading towards Knipe Wood until finally I found a friend!...



LOL! :-) At least I had someone to talk to!
I proceeded on until the heavy clouds blocked out the sun and threatened more snowfall!



I though it might be a good idea to head back to the car just incase I had to spend the night in the car park!
I retraced my footsteps back to the limestone outcrop above Kettlewell. Along the way I stopped to admire the view once again. Kettlewell looked like toytown from up here!...



Beyond Kettlewell village I could clearly see the depth of Dowber Gill Beck as the low winter sun cast shadows into its ravine. The snow clouds that threatened it above looked very menacing...



I had to be careful with my footing as I descended down to Kettlewell as the snow concealed rocks and uneven grass mounds below.  I stopped once more to appreciated the view out towards Buckden (where I should have gone!) before heading back to my little car that waited alone in the car park!...


No comments:

Post a Comment